BSU to host Stomp Out & Fashion Show

Silvia Buonocore, News Editor

Stomp Out, which will take place on March 2 at 7 p.m. in Davis Gym, is an annual step competition hosted by the University’s Black Student Union (BSU). This year marks the University’s ninth annual competition. A tradition among African communities, stepping incorporates “body movements, words, and sounds to communicate allegiance to a group,” explained BSU President Effiem Obasi ’20.

Founded at Howard University on May 10, 1930, the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) consists of nine historically black Greek letter organizations which have come to be known as the “Divine 9.” The event has its roots in the early 1900s when the Divine 9 participated in Greek Sings. Divine 9 organizations from other campuses will travel to the University to compete in Stomp Out. Past participants include teams from Lincoln University and West Chester University.

“In these organizations, step was originally used as a call and response to uplift audiences. It has transformed and become a way for organizations to pride and unity in their group. ‘Greek Sings’ evolved into Greek Shows which eventually became step shows that are popular to this day,” Obasi said.

Trashawna Herbert ’21, Chair of Outreach in the Alumni Committee for BSU, shared her excitement as she spoke about last year’s event. “I appreciated that other students in clubs outside of BSU were so supportive and showed up with their utmost enthusiasm. I enjoyed meeting new people of Greek Divine 9 organizations and learning about the wonderful things they engage in on their respective campuses,” Herbert said.

The BSU Fashion Show, which will be held on March 1 at 7 p.m. in Davis Gym, is another upcoming event “for students in BSU to feel connected to their black roots and take ownership of their experiences at Bucknell,” Obasi said. The Fashion Show is completely created by members of BSU. In doing so, it allows the members to express their artistic talents through clothing.

Obasi explained that this year’s event is special, as BSU is working closely with the University’s Black Alumni Association. They are hoping to restore the annual tradition of Black Alumni Weekend, which has been put on hold since 1998.

We have decided collectively that re-institutionalizing this event after so long will bring back prominent alumni, reconnect neighboring schools, and reinforce the importance of a true black network in the Bucknell community and beyond,” Obasi said.

While Obasi had a large role in planning these events, she explained that it could not have been done alone. There was support from BSU Executive Boards, BSU Members, Alumni Relations, the Dean Of Students Office, and many others.

“Our members have been extremely enthused about these events all semester and that alone makes the planning much more thrilling. I enjoy being part of the hard work that goes on behind the scenes and seeing everything come together as the events approach us,” Herbert said.

Simone McLaren ’19, one of the Fashion Show Executive Producers, has worked diligently to make the Fashion Show a success. “I am most looking forward to the graphics of the event. I worked very hard to revamp that aspect of the event to enhance performances on stage! Also, there is going to be a surprise during the fashion show, so I am excited to see how the audience will react,” McLaren said.

Tickets for Stomp Out will be $5 for students and $15 for non-students. The Fashion Show is free to all students and $5 for non-students.

“I’m looking forward to seeing all the hard work of our members come together. There have been so many people inside and outside of the organization that have dedicated a lot of time and resources to help our events come to fruition,” Obasi said. “It’s always exciting to see the polished version and how engaged everyone is.”