Bison men’s lacrosse unable to complete comeback in loss to Loyola


Tyler Luong

Tommy Sopko ’21, shown in the middle of the huddle, collected a hat trick during the team’s loss to Loyola on March. 23.

Justin Schaumberger, Staff Writer

The Bison men’s lacrosse team fell to No. 6 Loyola by a score of 12-7 at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium on March 23. After a hot start by the Greyhounds, who scored seven of the first eight goals of the game, the Orange and Blue spent the rest of the game trying to catch up. Ultimately, the loss dropped their overall record to 2-7 on the season and 1-3 in Patriot League play.


Bison scorers on the afternoon were Tommy Sopko ’21 with three goals, Will Yorke ’20 with two, Tom Smith ’19 with one, and Alston Tarry ’22 with one. Yorke and Smith each also added an assist to the stat sheet.


On the defensive end, goalie Christian Klipstein ’19 kept the Bison competitive for most of the match, collecting a season-best 20 saves, just three shy of his career high. Defender Drew Wellington ’22 collected five ground balls and caused one turnover.


Any attempts of a comeback for the Bison were constantly stymied in the face-off circle. Loyola won 17 of the 23 faceoffs, giving them several more possessions than the Bison. Another huge advantage for Loyola came in extra-man advantage situations. The Bison failed to score during the four times they had an extra man, yet the Greyhounds were able to find the net in two of their five opportunities.


“We got some good opportunities that we didn’t convert. We need to continue to shoot confidently and I think the success will come,” Klipstein said.


Other stats in the game stood fairly even among the two sides, with the Bison holding a narrow lead in shots and the Greyhounds holding the advantage in shots on target.


The Bison will look to regroup as they prepare to play Army West Point (7-2) next week. The game is set for 1 p.m. at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium on March 30.


(Visited 68 times, 1 visits today)