Head women’s basketball coach Aaron Roussell to leave Bucknell after seven successful years

Patrick Dempsey, Sports Co-Editor

Head women’s basketball coach Aaron Roussell announced on April 2 that he is leaving the University to become the next women’s basketball head coach at the University of Richmond. Following a 5-25 record for the Bison in the 2011-2012 season, Roussell came in and turned the women’s basketball program around and went on to win 68 percent of his games (151-72) during his seven-year tenure. Roussell is the winningest coach of the 46-year-old program.

“On behalf of myself and my family, I’d like to thank Bucknell and the local community for a memorable seven years in Lewisburg,” Roussell said. “I am incredibly grateful to have had the opportunity to work for a supportive administration while coaching a special group of players in front of the best fans in the Patriot League. I will cherish the relationships and memories from my time with the Bison for the rest of my life.”

Former University Athletic Director John Hardt is now serving as Richmond’s Vice President and Director of Athletics and is expected to introduce Roussell on April 11. Both Hardt and Roussell are University of Iowa graduates, as well.

“I am beyond thrilled to be the next women’s basketball coach at Richmond,” Roussell said in a University of Richmond release. “I would like to thank John Hardt and [senior women’s administrator] LaRee Sugg for this opportunity; with each conversation, they continued to show the tremendous potential of the program and I look forward to building it with them.”

The Bison basketball program will miss Roussell greatly. The women’s basketball team has dominated the past four years, having gone 102-30 with a 64-8 Patriot League record in that span. The Bison reached postseason play in all four seasons, including NCAA Tournament appearances in 2017 and 2019, along with WNIT appearances in 2016 and 2018.

“I would like to thank Aaron Roussell for all he has meant to Bison Athletics and our women’s basketball program over the last seven years,” Director of Athletics and Recreation Jermaine Truax said. “Beyond all of the great on-court moments, Aaron did a terrific job cultivating a family atmosphere among his student-athletes, coaching staff, and the community. He leaves behind a talent-rich program that is poised to continue that success.”

Truax and the Department of Athletics have begun the challenge of a national search to identify the next head women’s basketball coach. The team retains a very talented core group of players that are poised to have another strong season next year. The open coaching position is expected to be highly competitive and will draw interest from many qualified coaches.