Senior Giving Drive celebrates student donors

Lynette Santhakumar, Contributing Writer

As part of a new tradition, student organizations, such as L.E.A.D. Council and Senior Giving Drive, have increased their efforts to encourage students to give back to the University before graduation. Last week, the University celebrated all those who have given back with the Student Donor Recognition Reception on April 17 from 4-6 p.m. in the lobby of the Weis Center for the Performing Arts. The contributions support the opportunities and scholarships that students have benefited from during their time at the University, including financial aid, student groups, sports, facilities, and small class sizes.

Any donation increases the University’s placement in U.S. News and World Report rankings, which also increases the value of the University’s diploma. Many campus organizations also rely heavily on donations, making them vital to continue University programs. Additionally, when selecting recipients for grants and charitable donations, foundations and boards often look for high participation rates from those who know the organization best, which includes alumni, faculty, staff, and students.

The Student Donor Recognition Reception was the first of its kind at the University. The event consisted of light snacks and speeches from University President John Bravman, L.E.A.D. Council President Michael Drabich ’20, and Senior Giving Drive co-chairs Makayla Lagerman ’19, Maddie Nicol ’19, and Lynette Santhakumar ’19.

Students, such as Kendall Ryan ’19, were especially touched by Bravman’s message, in which he emphasized how we are given numerous opportunities to learn through experiences, which are all possible thanks to donations from alumni and students. “I thought that the giving ceremony was an awesome way to thank all students and seniors who have given back to the University. President Bravman made a really good point – this is a university that is more special than any other, for it gives us experiences that are unique and unforgettable,” Ryan said.

Additionally, the Senior Giving Drive co-chairs emphasized this event as commemorating the start of a lifetime of giving. Like many other seniors, Landers Mayer ’19 made a contribution to the Senior Giving Drive and understands the importance of giving back to the University. “I could never imagine not giving back to Bucknell. This place has given me four years of memories that I am incredibly grateful for and has helped shape me into the person I am today. I could only thank the school by continuing to give back in the years to come,” Mayer said.

Though this is the last year that seniors contribute financially as students, there is a lifetime ahead to continue investing in the University to ensure that the same educational opportunities and experiences are available to students for generations to come. Therefore, after graduation when emails, calls, and letters asking alumni to stay engaged are received, everyone is encouraged to stay connected, make a gift, and volunteer.