Fall Fest 2019 kicks off autumn

Sarah Haber, Contributing Writer

The University’s annual Fall Fest kicked off the semester on Sept. 13 with entertainment, food, and games on the Sojka Lawn. Warm temperatures and sunny skies drew in large crowds of students, staff, and community members. Activities and Campus Events (ACE) and the Campus Activities and Programs (CAP) Center hosted the event.

Students partook in various activities, including carnival games and arts and crafts from the 7th Street Studio and Makerspace. One craft that the MakerSpace had available for students was spray painting Fall Fest-themed canvases. There were also carnival rides that ranged from a Ferris wheel overlooking the event to a rapidly spinning gravity wheel.

One of the biggest draws to the event for students was the promise of free food. The Flying Bison provided fried mac and cheese, fried Oreos, and Zeppoles, as well as the staple “Flyson” nacho tots. Students were also able to use Bostwick Cafeteria swipes at Fall Fest for a barbeque dinner.

Before the headlining performance, student performers took the Fall Fest stage to show off their talents to their peers. From rapping to singing to playing guitar, the University students showcased their skills and had the opportunity to perform for each other.

Fall Fest this year was a major success, with a great turn out and perfect weather. Everyone I know that went had a fantastic time,” President of ACE Valerie Justice ’21 said.

Acclaimed singer-songwriter Jay Sean took the stage at the 2019 Fall Fest as the headlining performer. Students danced and sang along with Sean as he performed fan favorites such as his Billboard Top 100 hit “Down” and “Do You Remember.” The 2019 Fall Fest was the second time that Sean performed at the University. In 2010, Sean and Kid Cudi performed for the students and were hosted by the Concert Committee.

“Jay Sean was an absolute character and it was awesome to be able to host him,” Justice said.

Past performers at Fall Fest have included The Plain White T’s, B.O.B, and Jesse McCartney.