VBU rebrands as streaming service, partners with WVIA-FM

Miranda Segrave, Contributing Writer

The University’s radio station, WVBU-FM (90.5 FM), has been sold to WVIA-FM radio station.

In April of 2019, the University sold its student-run radio station to WVIA-FM — a radio station located in Scranton, Pa. with the ability to broadcast to a significant amount of people in its radius.

With WVBU-FM sold, VBU — a streaming service — has been created in its place. “I am very excited about the streaming platform because it opens up more room for student shows, sports shows, [and other University events],” VBU’s station manager, Emily Brandes ’21, said.

WVBU was widely known as “The Voice of Bucknell University.” The station played music, local news, and has a whole series of shows, like DJ CJ Jazz Hour and Democracy Now. This content will continue under VBU’s streaming service.

The sale will enable the station to reach a broader audience, as it has the capacity to broadcast to a larger area. The partnership with WVIA radio station will also include working with VBU to broadcast University events, such as women’s basketball games and student shows.

With the development of the new streaming platform, VBU will stream the same content and looks to add more podcasts. VBU will soon be publishing their new website, which will feature a schedule and provide easy accessibility for listeners in the University and Lewisburg community.

With regards to the partnership with WVIA radio station and VBU, Brandes noted that “we are excited to develop student voices on campus.”

“I am super excited to listen to this streaming service and learn more about Bucknell and other events on campus,” Allure Cooper ’23 said.