Men’s tennis goes 1-2 at Temple Invite

Florian Wozniak, Contributing Writer

Over this past weekend, the Bison men’s tennis team competed in the Temple Invite at TU Pavilion in Philadelphia, Pa. After their success at Mount St. Mary’s last week, the Orange and Blue looked to continue their success going up against Penn, Temple and Wagner.

“We expected to go in and play even better than last weekend, as the teams we faced are really strong. We tried our best to make sure that we ate and slept well and tried to be really loud and supportive towards each other,” Per Astrom ’23 said.

The first day of competition featured a matchup against Penn, where the two teams competed in three doubles and six singles matches. With Penn ahead 3-0 after doubles contests, Chunyu Chen ’23  and Cooper Bradshaw ’22 pushed their respective opponents to a third set in singles action, but both were unable to win the match. Michael Owen ’23 picked up the lone point for the Bison when his opponent retired after the second set making the overall score 6-1 in favor of Penn.

“There are three doubles followed by six singles in a team match. We always try our best to clinch the doubles point, however, the singles are usually what determines the result in the end,” Astrom said.

The Orange and Blue then faced off against Wagner. Owen claimed a victory in this singles while Astrom played well, but lost narrowly on the tie break 9 -11. The Orange and Blue won 6-1 to go to 1-1 in the invitational.

On the last day of competition, the Bison took on the hosts, Temple. Cooper Bradshaw earned a singles victory in Flight A 6-4, 2-6, 10-8 to finish 2-1 in singles matches over the weekend as his fellow freshman Owen did with victories against Wagner and Penn competitors. This proved to be the only points for the Bison in this matchup as they fell 6-1.

This weekend the Bison head to Vestal, N.Y. to participate in the Binghamton Championships, a three-day tournament from Sept. 27 to Sept. 29.