Paint Bucknell Pink run held during Family Weekend 

Juliana Collins, Contributing Writer

Colleges Against Cancer (CAC) hosted its annual 5K run and walk to promote breast cancer awareness in the midst of parents weekend on Sept. 29 in the Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium. Proceeds of this race were given to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer research and Relay For Life.

CAC is a nationwide collaboration of college students, faculty and staff that is dedicated to eliminating cancer by implementing the mission of the American Cancer Society on college campuses. The ultimate goal of CAC is to show the world that young people care and want to make a difference. 

The race is traditionally held during Family Weekend at the University. In the week leading up to the race, “Paint Bucknell Pink” t-shirts were sold for $15, and registering to run was an additional $5. Overall, the “Paint Bucknell Pink” event had 80 participants who ran the 5K. The participants ranged from students and parents to members of the Lewisburg community. In total, the event raised $1,720.

“I joined because I was involved in The American Cancer Society throughout high school. I absolutely love the mission and how much of an impact we can all have! Cancer has impacted my life and I love to do anything I can to help stop this disease,” club member Gwenn Taylor ’23 said.

“The American Cancer Society mission is to save lives, celebrate lives, [and] lead the fight for a world without cancer,” Marguerite Santorine, global education adviser and faculty advisor for Colleges Against Cancer, said. Santorine has lost many loved ones, including her father, mother and  3-year-old daughter to cancer, and aspires to give hope to cancer survivors and caregivers.

“Cancer is not just one color, and if someone has not been touched by a family member, friend, or colleague [diagnosed with cancer], that person is very lucky. If not for the services and programs provided by The American Cancer Society, survivors and caregivers in our community would not be supported as wonderfully as they are,” Santorine said.