Women’s Soccer falls to West Point and Columbia

Anna Carroll, Senior Writer

The Bison women’s soccer team suffered two close losses this past weekend against conference foe Army West Point and non-conference opponent Columbia University. The Bison are now 2-2 in Patriot League play and 4-9 overall on the season.

West Point’s Black Knights came out determined to snap a five-game losing streak against the Bison on Saturday, Oct. 5 at Emmitt Field, immediately applying pressure on the Bison offense. However, the Bison quickly found their legs as Alivia Handson ’23, Bri Kropinack ’21, and Gabby Bair ’20, teamed up to find the back of the net. This was Bair’s third goal of the season, giving the Orange and Blue a one-goal lead going into halftime.

Coming out of the intermission determined to jump on the Bison, Army tied the score up with a goal from Lauren Drysdale ’23. The Bison had an opportunity to regain the lead when Bair was hauled down in the box and Army’s goalie denied a penalty kick from Abby Gearhart ’23. Another attempt at a goal came from Chloe Christakos ’21, whose shot deflected off of the left post.

Minutes later, West Point was awarded a corner of its own, finding the back of the net yet again. This goal gave the Black Knights a 2-1 advantage over the Bison and proved to be enough for the win. Army finished the game with a slim 15-14 edge over the Bison in shots and a 9-4 lead in corner kicks.

The Bison returned to Emmitt Field on Tuesday, Oct. 8 for a non-conference showdown against Columbia University. The Bison suffered another close loss at the end of the first overtime period against the Lions with a final score of 2-1.

Raegan Dunwoodie ’22 made her first career start in the goal for the Bison while Annabelle Heisel ’23 scored her first career goal.

The game was a back-and-forth battle between the Lions and the Bison for the first half, but it was the Bison who had the first scoring opportunities of the night. Holly Burns ’22 nearly found the back of the goal on a corner kick, but a defender from Columbia saved her shot off the line. Heisel cashed in on the second chance and got the Bison its first goal of the night with a shot just inside the left post.

The Orange and Blue held onto their 1-0 lead and applied great pressure on the Columbia offense well into the second half. The Lions found their spark with about eight minutes left in regulation when three of their players teamed up to drive the ball down the field and into the Bison goal. The game finished tied up at 1-1 and went into overtime.

Although Dunwoodie made several great saves in the goal during her first collegiate start, Gracie Wall snagged a goal with only 2.9 seconds left in the first overtime period to give Columbia the win. Columbia finished the game with a 20-9 shot advantage over the Bison.

“Although we are disappointed in the outcome of two close losses on the weekend, we have improved a lot as a team since the preseason and continue to work hard every day in practice. There were a lot of positive moments during the week and we have to celebrate those moments and improve in other areas that weren’t as successful,” co-captain Bair said.

The Bison will look to rebound in Patriot League play when they take on Colgate at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 12.

(Visited 93 times, 1 visits today)