Athlete of the Week: Tyler Keiser ’21, Football

Leah Fogelsanger, Senior Writer

This past weekend, the Bison football team defeated the Lehigh Mountain Hawks in a decisive manner by a score of 20-10. The Bison dominated the Mountain Hawks throughout all four quarters and emerged victorious. Tyler Keiser ’21 proved to be among the most notable players this weekend as he kicked two field goals and two extra points, contributing eight points to the Bison’s effort.

The central Pennsylvania native just recently walked on to the football team, yet has made a huge impact in such a short period of time. When asked about his inspiration and why he joined the football team so late in the season, Keiser reflected on the past.

“I have met a few football players throughout my time here at Bucknell, but I would say what really inspired me about football was just that I missed the sport and being on a team. I was the kicker for my high school football team, and I really enjoyed it. I missed the sport and the camaraderie when I came to Bucknell, which is what pushed me to show an interest in joining the team,” Keiser said.

Joining a team as close as the football team is a tough transition and challenge to overcome. However, Keiser takes this challenge in stride and has found his place among his new teammates. 

“The biggest challenge for me has been the transition to becoming a part of the team. From practice schedules to coursework, getting all my equipment to meeting everyone, it has been very overwhelming. However, the coaching staff and all the players have offered nothing but help and support, which has made the transition as easy as it could be. Still, the challenge of improving time management, while trying to maintain some kind of a work-life balance, has been difficult,” Keiser said. 

Due to his dual major program in civil engineering and management, Keiser will be sticking around for a fifth year at the University. This proves extremely helpful for the Bison who will be losing star punter Alex Pechin ’20 after this season. Considering the senior has only just joined the team, his favorite memory during his career is a bit limited. However, Keiser elaborated on his experience this past weekend and spoke highly of the energy and support that he felt from his new teammates that made the game against Lehigh one to remember.

“My favorite individual memory was probably after I made my first field goal. My holder, Alex Pechin, who has been an incredible friend and mentor throughout this whole process, called my name as we were running off the field, gave me a hug, and said ‘Congrats man, I’m so happy to have you here.’ Then, when I got to the sideline the whole team was coming up to me, congratulating me, and making me feel so welcomed and that was an incredible feeling that I will never forget,” Keiser said. 

With a few more weeks left in the season, the kicker has some more time to get better acquainted with the team and secure a few more wins for the Bison.

“I am very excited to get more acquainted with the team. Since I only joined the team three weeks ago I am still getting to know everyone and the way the team operates, but everyone has been so welcoming so far and I am excited to complete the transition to being on the team. I am also excited to finish out the rest of the year strong in our last two games. This weekend is the last home game of the year, and it will be great to experience that with the seniors and hopefully get them another win at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium before their careers at Bucknell come to an end,” Keiser said. 

STATS: 

2 Field Goals

Longest Field Goal: 21 yards

5 Kickoffs for 276 yards

1 tackle