Athlete of the Week: Sophie Bullard ’20, Volleyball

Leah Fogelsanger, Senior Writer

Over the past four years, Sophie Bullard ’20 has played an extensive and crucial role for the women’s volleyball team. This past weekend, in the team’s season closing game against first-place Colgate, Bullard stood out among the rest of her teammates and dominated the court despite the eventual loss.

The outstanding senior is sad to see her final season as a Bison volleyball player come to a close, but she provided some inspiration to the rest of the team.

“Unfortunately, the season is over. But, I hope the girls do well next year and can’t wait to see how they grow as a team! Of course I’m excited to watch the team develop and change as the juniors take more leadership and control. And I of course wish the freshmen luck in a long spring season,” Bullard said. 

“My favorite memory was when we beat Loyola this year and played as one all together. It was such an amazing feeling and everyone was on fire in all positions,” Bullard said.

The senior has held a prominent leadership position on the team since her junior year, but really takes leading her teammates in a more indirect fashion. She leads by example through her positive energy and determined, hard-working personality. 

Throughout the season, like many other teams, the volleyball team faced countless injuries. However, they overcame these injuries and did not let them stop them from dramatically improving their record this year and heavily contesting some of the top teams in the nation. 

“We have faced a lot of injuries this season which hindered our wins. But ultimately we rallied together as a team. These injuries made us a lot closer and created a better environment where we continuously supported each other through everything, whether it be a bad set or an ACL injury,” Bullard said.

When asked about her main inspiration for why she plays volleyball, the Florida native pointed to her dad without hesitancy. 

“My dad has always been my inspiration. He has continuously been there for me throughout all my years of playing. He is my biggest supporter, motivator, and overall inspiration,” Bullard said.

While the senior will surely miss what she says is a “completely gripping and unpredictable momentum-filled game,” she is excited and ready to find her way in the “real world” as a former Division I athlete.

Career STATS: 

380 Sets played

1025 Kills

1154 Digs

1,167 Points