Men’s tennis has strong showing at NJIT

Kelsey O’Loughlin, Contributing Writer

Despite numerous injuries and illnesses, the Orange and Blue competed well this weekend against Hofstra, NJIT and Fairfield at the NJIT Tournament in Newark, N.J. The young team pulled out several individual victories.

On the first day, the Bison came away with five singles victories and two doubles victories. In the second round, two Bison had singles victories and were the only undefeated individuals for the day. Marwan Abaza ’21 won against Hofstra 6-3. On the second day of competition, Abaza continued his success by clinching another singles win, along with two doubles wins. To conclude the weekend, Abaza went 3-0 and is now 4-0 for singles this spring.

Michael Owen ’23 served as another strong contributor for the Bison this weekend, as he had a perfect 2-0 on the first day. Owen faced off against Hofstra, winning 6-1, 6-1 in the opening round. The freshman continued to prove himself on the second day of play by teaming up with Abaza and Per Astrom ’23 to win two doubles matches.

The Orange and Blue continued their dominance over NJIT, defeating both pairs with a score of 6-4. Guillermo Torres ’23 led the Bison to 5-1 for singles in the first round.

“This past weekend we came out with a very positive mindset and had very good wins over good teams,” Torres said.  “We performed at a very high level, preparing us for the remainder of the season.”

The Bison will look to build on this early season momentum when they play Siena in Williamsport, Pa. on Feb. 2 at 2 p.m.