Successful weekend for women’s water polo at the Bruno Classic

Holly Burns, Senior Writer

The Bison women’s water polo team traveled to Providence, R.I. this weekend to face four different opponents.

The Orange and Blue faced No. 24 Marist on Saturday, Feb. 1, earning a 16-12 victory over the Red Foxes. Ally Furano ’21 scored a total of eight goals in the match, earning a single-game goal record for her performance. Kali Hyham ’21 scored the first goal of the game for the Bison, adding four more later in the game for a total of five on the day. Paige Furano ’22 scored two goals, contributing to the Orange and Blue victory, and Marcela Herrera ’21 added one.

Later that evening, the Bison also defeated Austin College 13-8. Six different Bison scored over the course of the match, with A. Furano adding four more goals in the second game of the day. The Orange and Blue came out strong, scoring four unanswered goals.

The Bison then went on to net seven goals in the second period, bringing the score to 11-2. Katie Jo Nedrow ’20 scored two goals for the Orange and Blue. Sheila Tomlin ’23, Chloe Smith ’23 and Herrera added a pair of goals each. P. Furano also added a goal in the second match of the day.

“This weekend really gave us the opportunity to see how well we mesh together after two short weeks of training,” A. Furano said. “Together as a team, we were able to communicate and support each other throughout each of the games after just one weekend of playing, which makes me very excited to see what the team has in store for the rest of the season.”

The Bison continued a strong weekend on Sunday, Feb. 2, securing a win over Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. The first quarter was a very defensive battle, as each team only netted one goal apiece. The Orange and Blue found more success in the second period, scoring four goals in four minutes, making the score 6-2.

Four different Bison contributed to the four-goal outbreak. Goals came from A. Furano, Nina Benson ’20, P. Furano and Hyham. The Athenas closed the gap in the third quarter, making the score 6-5. However, the Bison were able to remain defensively strong, and added another goal, leading the Orange and Blue to a 7-5 victory.

The Bison wrapped up and 4-0 weekend with a 16-10 victory over Siena. The Orange and Blue started off the game very strong, scoring 11 of the game’s first 12 goals. Siena fought back a bit, but the Bison were able to hold them off for the victory.

A. Furano contributed six goals to the Bison victory, following her school-record performance against Marist. Hyham, Bella Moynihan ’23, Anna Bautista ’23, P. Furano, Herrera and Benson also added goals on the day.

The No. 23 Bison women’s water polo team earned the first 4-0 start to a season since 2011.

“It was great to see our upperclassmen serve as leaders to our big freshman class. Everyone got playing time this weekend and some of our freshmen got their first goals of their college careers this weekend, which is always amazing to see,” A. Furano said.