Next up for the track and field team is Patriot League Championships

Clara McCormick, Contributing Writer

The University’s track and field teams competed in a tune-up in their very own Gerhard Fieldhouse this past Friday, Feb. 21. 

For the men’s team, there were three athletes who finished in first place. Nicholas Marino 21 was first in pole vault, C.J. Falcioni 20 earned first in shot put and weight throw and Brendan Bodisch ’21 placed first in the 60. 

David Kelly ’20 and Franco Perinotti ’22 followed Marino in pole vault, and Zach Ruiz ’20 followed Falcioni ’20 in shot put. Also placing in shot put was Hayden Lindsey ’20, earning fourth. 

Following Bodisch ’21 in the 60 was Ryquan Harris ’20, who also placed second in the 200. 

Placing third in the 3000 was Evan Minor ’21, and placing fifth in the 60 hurdles was Jack Memoli ’22. 

Moving on to the women’s performance, senior superstar Kaitlin Salisbury ’20, placed first in the 60 and long jump. Salisbury beat her best time this past weekend in the 60, earning a 7.56. 

Freshmen Valerie Fischer ’23 and Jessie Castellano ’23 earned first and second in the 500, while Alexandra Butz ’21 got first in the high jump and second in pole vault. Tying for third in high jump were seniors Sydney Contrino ’20 and Lexy Forrestal ’20. 

Delia Sipe ’21 recorded first place for shot put and juniors Danielle Line ’20 and Daija Misler’ 20 recorded fourth and fifth. 

“We used the tune-up as a chance to get good final marks in before the League meet, so it was sort of a confidence booster for people because we are starting to peak,” said Ashlyn Ramos ’22.

Overall, the track and field teams are looking strong coming into the Patriot League Championships, which will take place at rival Lehigh University from Saturday, Feb. 29 to Sunday, March 1. 

Salisbury was optimistic about the University’s chances this season. “Our goal this year is so much different than what it’s been in previous years,” she said. “We’re going to war for this title. It’s going to take everyone on our roster to do their best, and our depth has never been more important.”