9 things to do on-campus despite the pandemic

Graphic by Lily Nobunaga

Noemi Pedraza-Aguado, Contributing Writer

With the University following regulations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), including requiring masks and social distancing, this fall semester is expected to look very different on campus. While it is important to maintain social distancing to protect other students and the Lewisburg community, this does not mean there aren’t any activities occurring on campus. Students can still participate in an array of activities during their free time while taking proper precautions.

7th Street Studio & MakerSpace

With safety measures in place — such as wearing masks, designated workspaces, hand sanitation and maximum capacity limits — the 7th Street Studio & Makerspace has reopened this semester. Every Friday and Saturday night at 7 p.m., 7th Street Studio & Makerspace will be hosting events outside. In addition to being able to create DIY crafts, including acrylic paint pours, splatter painting, boho tassels and mason jar planters, students can also learn other stress-relieving techniques like bullet journaling. Tuesdays and Thursdays will also include pop-up programs outside the studio for some fun crafting. This semester, the studio will remain open from 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from 5 p.m. – midnight on weekends. For more information on events going on at 7th Street, students can check out @7thstreetstudio_makerspace on Instagram, or look at the University’s website.

Join a Fitness Class

Enforcing a maximum capacity alongside other restrictions, the Kenneth Langone Athletics & Recreation Center (KLARC) has managed to reopen while offering various fitness classes. Especially during an uncertain and possibly stressful time, fitness classes are a great way to get some endorphins pumping. Some of the classes currently offered include Warrior Ride, Warrior Workout, Free Swim, Bison Ride, High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT),  Yoga and Barre Burn. Additionally, KLARC will be running various league tournaments throughout the semester, including 2 vs. 2 Rocket League tournaments. More information can be found on KLARC’s website.

Keeping It Reel

As always, the Campus Activities & Programs (CAP) Center is organizing fun activities for students to sign up for. Join the CAP Center for some Saturday Movie Nights on the quad — everything from new movies to some favorite throwbacks. Additionally, the CAP Center will be hosting a variety of other events, such as DIY Night on Aug. 28, S’mores and More on Sept. 4, Country Fair on Sept. 11, Escape Room on Sept. 18, and Just Desserts on Sept. 25. So make sure to stay safe, but busy, and sign up for these fun events.

Religious and Spiritual Life Events

On Sunday mornings, the Religious and Spiritual Life Team will host Ecumenical Christian Chapel services. These events will be socially distanced and feature a different student singer each week. Shabbat dinners will also be offered in the Berelson Center. Lastly, the Catholic Campus Ministry will continue to host mass on Thursday nights at 5:30 p.m. and on Sundays at 4 p.m. and 8 p.m., followed by a social event afterward. Many of the events will take place outside in order to accommodate social distancing guidelines. Students can check out the Religious and Spiritual Life Team’s Facebook page for more details about upcoming events.

Join a Student Organization

Just because students have to be more careful about interacting with one another, doesn’t mean they have to lose interest in joining clubs and organizations on-campus. For more information on the wide range of clubs offered at the University, visit Get Involved or the Cap Center’s Youtube channel, and find a club that interests you. In fact, the Bucknellian is always looking to add more student voices to our staff. If you are interested in writing, photographing, or designing layout, please contact [email protected]

OEL Events

During the pandemic, there is no better place to be than outdoors! Take advantage of Lewisburg’s rural wonders after class or even on the weekends. The University’s Outdoor Education and Leadership program (OEL) is offering plenty of services this semester, including kayak and bike rentals, remote meditation classes and hiking, bouldering and camping trips. You can sign up for their upcoming weekend trips at buncknelloel.info.

Fire Pit

As a gift from the Class of 2020, a new fire pit was built next to the South Campus Apartments. As long as students are maintaining their proper social distance and wearing, they should not hesitate to gather around the fire and make some s’mores with friends.

Lawn Games

As another offering from CAP Center, lawn games are available for students to rent out. Enjoy competing against friends in a small group or solo!

Golf

You can go play a round of golf at the University’s own golf course. The Driving Range and The 1846 Grill are both open and following COVID precautions.