Market Street Deli to return under new management

By Ali Carey

Market Street Deli will soon reopen under new management after its temporary closure in June 2011.

“After closing after Alumni Weekend in June, plans were to reopen in early August but the owner decided to sell the deli instead,” deli manager Donnie Mapes said.

The switch in owners hindered the deli’s return, but new owners Alex Rosenblatt and Evan Erdberg hope to get the deli up and running by October.

Rosenblatt and Erdberg promise to keep the deli’s old hours and possibly even extend hours of service. The deli will continue to be open seven days a week from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. and will serve their famous breakfast all day.

The owners want to be open “at least an hour after Domino’s closes” as a late-night option for hungry students. The deli will continue to reopen from 12 p.m. to 3 a.m. on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The owners are considering adding Thursday to their late night breakfasts.

“The thing I miss most is that Market Street Deli was always open late, so after spending long hours hitting the books, I could always stop by at 3 a.m. for a meal,” Wally Watkins ’12 said.

The deli will now have a regular delivery option “so studying students won’t have to leave their dorms,” Rosenblatt said. “There will be modest improvements to the menu everyone has grown accustomed to. Expect new surprises in the future.”

The reopening of Market Street Deli will allow new students who have heard of the deli’s reputation experience it themselves.

“Everyone tells me how good the food was; I was disappointed when I realized it was closed,” Elizabeth Carnicom ’15 said. “I will definitely check it out when it reopens.”

Market Street Deli will continue to serve their famous breakfast sandwiches, subs and hoagies.

“Students here deserve to have a good sandwich,” Rosenblatt said.