Bucknell Winter Showcase presents ‘The One Act Play That Goes Wrong’

Maddie+Hamilton%2C+Photography+Editor+%2F+The+Bucknellian+

Maddie Hamilton, Photography Editor / The Bucknellian

Maximus Bean, News Co-Editor

The Bucknell Winter Showcase will be showing “The One Act Play That Goes Wrong”, directed by Reid Fournier ’24, in Harvey Powers Theatre Feb. 3 and Feb. 4. The doors will open at 7:00 p.m., with the show itself starting at 7:30 p.m..

The description of the play refers to itself as “a comedic combination of Sherlock Holmes and Monty Python in a 1920s whodunit that has everything you never wanted in a show.” 

The production will center around a comedic play-within-a-play plot where everything appears to go wrong at a time when everything should go right. Between doors being stuck and actors getting knocked out, nothing appears to go according to plan for the hapless crew.

The play was originally written in 2012 by Henry Lewis, Jonathan Sayer, and Henry Shields. It officially had five tours in the UK, and has been running in London since its release. In 2015, it won Best New Comedy at the annual Laurence Olivier Awards. The play starred on Broadway in 2017, and was directed by J.J. Abrams. Now, this award-winning play will be arriving on Bucknell’s campus. 

If students are interested in purchasing tickets for the play, they are being sold on the University box office website for $7. This event will be open for both the students and the general public alike. 

Bucknell’s Winter Showcase will continue following this event, with the next production scheduled for the weekend of Feb. 18. The interactive performance “Can We Talk About It?” The play will, as stated by the events page, “specifically explore difficult dialogues and issues of social justice at Bucknell, in Central Pennsylvania, and/or in the United States.”