TKE upcoming philanthropy run to DC

By Carleen Boyer

The eighth annual Reagan Run, a fundraiser started by the brothers of the Beta Mu chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity will take place during Fall Break, commencing on Saturday Oct. 8.
The fraternity started an annual run titled the “Reagan Run,” named after President and fellow TKE brother Ronald Reagan eight years ago. The run takes place over three days and the brothers work together to run 180 miles in a relay-style race down to Washington, D.C. Since the fundraiser’s beginning, the fraternity has raised over $187,000, which is donated to the Alzheimer’s Association.

“It goes towards such a good cause, which is what we really rally behind,” said Matt Gruseke ’13, Reagan Run co-chair.  

The Alzheimer’s Association was founded in 1980, and since then has spread globally. The association reaches out to patients and families who suffer from the effects of Alzheimer’s disease. In addition to reaching out to affected families, the association also works for the advancement of Alzheimer’s research.  

“I think it’s an unbelievable cause. For what little I knew about Alzheimer’s disease, I learned so much through Reagan Run last year. I feel like I’m actually giving back, and I think now with all the campus climate things, it’s very important to highlight all of the good things that Greek life can do,” Gruseke said.  

The run falls only a few weeks after rush, which gives new pledges an opportunity to become closer to the brothers of the fraternity.  

“It’s four days working together, but we’re also putting together something big and we’re all contributing to a huge goal that, at the end, is something we can be proud about,” Alex Debetencourt ’14 said.