Paint Bucknell Pink 5K raises money for cancer research

By Meghan Finlayson

Over 150 participated in the 10th annual Paint Bucknell Pink Walk/Race and together raised over $6,000 for the American Cancer Society.

The event, hosted by the University’s chapter of Colleges Against Cancer took place on Sunday, Sept. 25 and was dedicated to raising breast cancer awareness. Many families, students, faculty and administration came together for the event.

“The event did a great job of raising money and awareness for a very important cause. It was wonderful to see so many students and their families supporting the fight against breast cancer,” associate dean of students Amy Badal said.

Colleges Against Cancer is a national student organization that works with the American Cancer Society to raise money and awareness on campuses across the country. The Paint Bucknell Pink Walk has become a tradition of Family Weekend.

“Everyone was really excited to be there and felt a strong commitment to the fight against cancer. It’s always a great way to end parents weekend,” said Heather Lenker ’12, Relay for Life chair.

Many students have been seen on campus wearing the “Think Pink” shirts, which were sold the week prior to the race in the lower lobby of the Elaine Langone Center.

Colleges Against Cancer also hosted a “caf” night, featuring a cake provided by Dining Services, to provide information about the event.

On Sunday, participants gathered in front of Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium at 8 a.m. to register for the walk and race. They could honor survivors or remember loved ones by writing their names on balloons at the start and end of the race.

“Everyone was thrilled to have an opportunity to honor those who are still fighting cancer and remember those who lost their battle,” Lenker said.

The loop went around campus, starting at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium, going past the Gateways, down Moore Avenue and Loomis Street, then warpping back around to the stadium. Although listed as a 5K, the race was technically 4.06 miles.

Over 50 people raced and were timed along the way. Jake Eaton-Hall ’13 came in first place, finishing in less than 24 minutes.

“The race was a great way to raise awareness. I love to run and doing it for a good cause made it even better,” Lucy Swank ’13 said.

Everyone involved with the event was happy with the end result.

“We could not have asked for a better turnout this year. We got beautiful weather, and had a great showing. The whole organization really came through and we all worked so hard to make the event a memorable one,” said Katherine Griffith, president of Colleges Against Cancer.

Colleges Against Cancer Club coordinates many events on campus, the most well-known being Relay for Life in April. Currently, they have plans for a “pink” homecoming weekend in October, in order to honor breast cancer awareness month.