Rowing teams host 40 Year reunions

This past weekend, the Women’s Rowing team and Men’s Crew team hosted a 40 Year Reunion in celebration of the start of both programs at Bucknell. Over the years, both teams have developed great programs, with deep histories and widespread participation and support from many Bucknellians.

Men’s Rowing started at Bucknell in the 1982/83 school year, followed by the women’s team  a year later in the 1983/84 school year. Varsity status was achieved for both men and women at the beginning of the 1990/91 school year. The teams started with limited equipment that was shared between the men and women, but over time both teams grew and eventually acquired their own equipment, racing competitively against many other great programs. Today, the Women’s team is Division I in the Patriot League and the Men’s team is Club Varsity.

The first original rowing dock was located near Bucknell’s campus on St. George Street. The early members of the team found it was too shallow to have the docks near campus, and eventually moved the docks down 10 minutes south of campus at the junction of routes 11 and 15. John Skotedis, a local business owner of Ted’s Landing Restaurant and now Skeeters Restaurant, offered for the Bucknell team to locate the docks off their property, which is where the team has been situated ever since. 

Since their establishment, the rowing programs at Bucknell have evolved greatly thanks to the effort of many great coaches, students, alumni, and members of the Bucknell and surrounding community. The University was excited to have 62 Women’s team alumni and 80 Men’s team alumni back for the 40th Anniversary Reunion.  

On Saturday, Sept. 30th, the teams hosted the alumni at the boat house, took alumni out for an optional row, and hosted a networking event with current team members. Additionally, on Saturday evening, each team hosted respective celebratory banquets preceded by a happy hour. At the women’s banquet, alumni were invited to speak, share stories, and reflect together on their fond memories of their time on the team and at Bucknell. The following day, the men’s team hosted a boat christening event where they heard from dedicated alumni who funded the purchase of their two new boats.

A former rower of the Bucknell Men’s team, Women’s Head Coach, Stephen Kish ’92, was excited about the turnout of the weekend. “The weekend was the most inspirational reunion I have ever been part of since we started having them for the 15th anniversary. It was incredible to have so many women back from the first years of the program who have never been back to campus for a rowing reunion since graduation,” said Kish. 

Current students shared similar enthusiasm about the returning alumni. Women’s team senior Annabelle Kaeli ’24, expressed feelings of excitement before heading out to row with the alumni. “I am just so pumped to be here. I am happy that our current team is getting to row with our alumni, including some girls who just graduated last spring,” said Kaeli.

“It’s exciting that there are girls who just graduated and even classes up to ’86, the original women, who are all coming together for this amazing celebration. I am super happy to be on the team for a moment like this when all these women are coming back home to Bucknell,” continued Kaeli. 

Men’s team senior Andrew Viola ’24 shared some words of gratitude for the alumni. “I am really grateful for the support of the alumni and their commitment to the program. It’s what makes me so proud to row for Bucknell and call this team my family,” said Viola.

“Everyone had a great time and it was awesome to meet some of the old coaches who helped build the program,” continued Viola. 

Overall, the 40th Reunion was a success with many positive reflections, shared gratitude, and inspiration from current and former Bucknell rowers and community members.