Mile 1 of… many.

Running has always been a big part of my life. I started running in third grade, doing track for a few years and then making a transition to cross country in fifth grade. I then continued through my senior year in high school. 

I am quite sure that quite a few readers have had a similar experience to this, as most of us who ran in high school are not fast enough to make any college-level teams anywhere. I still like going on the occasional run, trying to go for three each week, and that passion from high school has still continued. But, over the last eight years, people always ask: why? What’s the point?

Of course, there are always rational explanations. For example, it improves strength, endurance, mindfulness and the list goes on and on. However, there is another reason that I still decided to ‘torture’ myself and go for six-mile runs at a seven minute and 15 seconds pace (which is decently fast). It’s the aspect of exploring. Finding new places. Discovering new roads (… Toyota). But seriously, there are several great new places that I have found via running. 

It is very surprising how you don’t have to go far to find new places. For example, there are still places near my high school that I would spend time discovering when I was part of the team. From abandoned houses in the middle of the woods to roads that I didn’t know existed, it is always so enthralling to make these findings. There are still new things, even after four years of running in the same area, that I am still finding. It is amazing to me. 

I will admit, last year I didn’t run too much. This was for a few reasons, the first being that I wanted to make sure that my academics were maintained as well as making sure that I knew what the heck I was doing as a first-year in college. However, over this past summer, I started running some more, and I have fallen back in love with that aspect of discovery. Since I didn’t run much here last year, all of the routes that I am creating are brand new to me. I am having a whole new phase of discovery, and it’s been great. I really think that more people should put on some running sneakers, get outdoors and discover new places. 

I might be crazy, and the only one that thinks of running this way. It’s part of the reason that I didn’t do track—running in circles, endless circles, just bores me so much. I like when the scenery changes, and when it’s a brand new one, that’s even better. And honestly, running isn’t that bad. Of course, I am getting better endurance, strength and a clearer mind from all of it. It is overall a great experience and for college students, it is a great way to really feel better. 

Now, onto mile two…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the individual writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Bucknellian.