Men’s Basketball falls just short in first non-conference game

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

Bison Men’s Basketball faced Mount St. Mary’s in their first game of the season. 

With 16 points and four assists, Junior Elvin Edmonds IV led the Bison. He was followed by Noah Williamson ’26 with 12 points and 14 rebounds and Ian Motta ’25 with 10 points and six rebounds. The score went back and forth throughout the game; neither team led by more than six points the entire time.

In the second quarter, the Bison were able to tie up the game at 26 each. They initially were down by three, but Edmonds scored on two drives, feeding the ball to Ruot Bijiek ’26 for a layup. Williamson and Josh Bascoe ’25 each set up great plays for insane layups. The Bison had the biggest lead of six points at 38-32.

Jack Forrest ’24 swished two free throws, but Mount St. Mary’s was able to return with an attack. After six points in a row from Mount, Williamson was able to score, tying the game at 48 points. Mount St. Mary’s swished a couple more baskets, but Edmunds sank in multiple free throws, pushing the Orange and Blue into a close game with less than 15 seconds left. 

The Bison were able to counter and expose Mount St. Mary’s for their mistakes, giving Bascoe the ball, who then flipped in a floater at the buzzer, sending the game into overtime. It was an impressive fight by the Bison and great tenacity shown by Bascoe. Starting overtime, the Bison were down by two at 60-58, but the Orange and Blue tied with free throws from Forrest, pushing the game into double overtime. 

Starting this last period, Patrick O’Brien ’27 stepped on the court and gave the Bison a quick lead. Mount was able to regain the lead again, though. Josh Adoh ’24 brought the Bison close with a score of 67-65 with less than a minute left on a layup, but Mount St. Mary’s held off the Bison this time. Close game between these teams, but ultimately, a tough loss for the Bison. 

Catch the Bison at Sojka Pavilion for their official 2023-24 season opener on Nov. 6 against the Delaware Blue Hens.