Wrestling goes 1-1 over weekend

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

Bison Wrestling took on Army at home on Jan. 27th before traveling to Philadelphia to face off against Drexel on Jan. 28th.

Bucknell came into the match having not beaten Army since 2017, and unfortunately, that streak continued. But this was the second straight year the match came down to the final bout.

After Army went out to a 6-0 advantage, all of the remaining matches were within four points after three periods. Kurt Phipps ’25 and Dylan Chappell ’25 got the Bison its first two points of the night.

Noah Mulvaney ’27 then won his bout, which would kick off a 9-3 run for Bucknell later on. 

Bucknell was eventually taken down in the final match, but not after a heroic comeback. The team then brought this energy into the weekend, where the team dominated Drexel on the road 24-10. This now makes the Bison 7-4 overall and 3-1 in EIWA duals.

Drexel won three of the first five bouts, pushing them out to an early 4-0 lead. Phipps again helped the Bison get on the board early, and Braden Bower ’26 gave the Bison their first lead of the day with a 14-3 win. 

Mulvaney again won his bout this time around, and he is now a team-best 23-3 this season. This win also started a 17-0 Bucknell run.

I do see myself as a leader, even though I may not be the loudest and most vocal leader,” Mulvaney said. “I like to use the ‘lead by example’ approach.”

Myles Takats ’27 came back from a 6-1 deficit to clinch a win for Bucknell late, as well.

Bucknell hits the road again next weekend. They take on Navy on Saturday in Annapolis, then head to Columbia on Sunday to take on the Lions.