Women’s Basketball prevails over Boston University

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

On Saturday, Women’s Basketball traveled to Boston, Massachusetts to face off against Boston University, and won 71-60. This victory extends their winning streak to three games and is the team’s second win against BU this season.

Some standouts for Bucknell were Ashley Sofilkanich ’27, Grace Sullivan ’26, Emma Theodorsson ’26, Isabella King ’25 and Blake Matthews ’26. Sofilkanich scored 21 points on 9 of 17 shooting and collected two rebounds. Sullivan tallied 17 points, Theodorsson scored 12 points and gathered 9 rebounds, King collected 10 points and Matthews tallied 4 points, 8 assists and no turnovers. 

Shooting nearly 51% from the field as a team, the Bison went 4 of 10 from the three-point line and 13 of 14 at the free-throw line. 

In the first quarter, Boston came out strong to earn an 8-2 lead. After the Bison called a timeout, they inched closer to Boston. The quarter closed at a tight score of 14-13, with the lead going to the Terriers. 

Shortly into the second quarter, Bucknell used a 5-0 run to take their first lead. The teams traded the lead multiple times before halftime. With the conclusion of the first half, the Bison were down 39-34. 

The third quarter was all Bucknell. Boston had an early 44-40 lead before the Orange & Blue caught fire, sparking a 19-0 run. Theodorsson, Matthews, Sullivan and Sofilkanich all scored much needed baskets. The quarter concluded with Bucknell up 61-46.

In the fourth quarter, Boston did not give up. They went on an 8-2 run to make it 63-56 with 6:27 left. However, the Bison defense clamped down on the Terriers, earning themselves a 6-0 run. At the end of the game, the Bison came out victorious 71-60. 

On Saturday, Feb. 17, the Bison face off against the Colgate Raiders at home in Sojka.