Women’s Basketball closes 1-1 week

Lauren Medeiros, Photography Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

Bucknell Women’s Basketball hosted Holy Cross at home on Wednesday, Feb. 21, and traveled to West Point, New York on Saturday, Feb. 24 to play Army. Bucknell lost in overtime to Holy Cross 58-47, but beat Army 65-63. Both games this week were nail-biters.

In Wednesday’s game against Holy Cross, the Bison took to the court in special pink uniforms as they honored the Play4Kay cancer fundraiser. Despite their hard-work and overtime battle, the Bison fell to Holy Cross. 

Standout players for the Bison were Ashley Sofilkanich ’27, Emma Theodorsson ’26, Grace Sullivan ’26, Ashley O’Connor ’26 and Isabella King ’25. Sofilkanich tied a career-high in rebounds with 15, set a career-high in made free throws (10) and scored 14 points to notch her fourth double-double. Theodorsson earned 13 points to eclipse the career 500-point mark, while Sullivan scored 10 points. O’Connor went 2-14 from the field but hit a huge three-pointer in the late fourth quarter to put Bucknell up 45-44. Lastly, King hit a three-pointer, earning her 500-points for her career. 

Throughout the game, both teams struggled with shooting from the field. Bucknell went 17-of-64 (26.6%), while Holy Cross hit 20-of-66 (30.3%). At the three-point line, Bucknell went 2-of-18 (11.1%) and Holy Cross made 6-of-24 (25%). 

The game started off slow, as the score was only 6-4 at the first media timeout. Heading into halftime, the Bison were down 25-24. 

In the third quarter, the Bison went on a 6-2 mini run. Sofilkanich tallied four of the six points. However, Holy Cross tied the game 30 all with a three-pointer and ended the quarter with a 36-34 lead. 

To begin the fourth quarter, both teams traded baskets. Theodorsson’s jump shot put the Bison up 40-38 before the Crusaders hit two three-pointers to gain the lead. Holy Cross double and triple teamed Sofilkanich and Theodorsson in the final few minutes. Still, Sullivan was able to earn one basket and O’Connor scored a beautiful three-pointer to send them to overtime.

Despite the close game in regulation, the Bison quickly fell in overtime. Holy Cross went on an 11-0 scoring stretch before Sofilkanich sank two free throws. The Crusaders tallied one final basket before the conclusion of the game.

On Saturday, as the Bison traveled to play Army, they were hoping to turn their luck around. 

Throughout the game, Sullivan scored 17 points and earned nine rebounds, Sofilkanich tallied ten points and grabbed four points, Theodorsson scored 11 points, Blake Matthews ’26 added nine points and King and O’Connor each sank seven points. 

Bucknell shot 24-of-49 (49%) from the field and 14-of-18 (77.8%) from the foul line.

The first half of the game was dominated by Army, as the Bucknell were at a deficit of 15 points. At halftime, the Bison trailed 40-29. In the third-quarter, the Bison earned their final lead of the game 44-43. In the fourth quarter, the Bison turned on the scoring and overcame their deficit to secure a 65-63 victory.

Next up, the Bison head to Easton to face off against Lafayette on March 2.