Men's track dominates

By Cooper Mead

The men’s track and field team impressed at the Bison Open & Multi last weekend. The team posted record-setting numbers throughout the meet including a monumental performance by Andrew Powell ’12 who set a school record in the heptathlon, becoming the first Bison to break the 5,000-point mark with his score of 5,049.

Sam Brandstadt ’15 and Greg Barbier ’12 joined Powell on the record board, posting the school’s eighth and ninth best performances in the heptathlon with 4,176 and 4,071 points, respectively. Another top performer, Ray Holmes ’14, earned second in the triple jump with a career-best 40’ 0.75’’ which ranks seventh-best in program history.

Other notable Orange and Blue performances came from Leonard Joseph ’13 who claimed first in the weight throw and Patryk Najbar ’14 who earned fifth in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.06 seconds.

“Overall it was a great weekend for Bison track and field,” head coach Kevin Donner said. “We had a number of IC4A/ECAC qualifiers as well as a couple of school records. The athletes competed with a lot of enthusiasm and that energy will continue through the next three weeks.”

The Bison will compete in the Crusader Classic on Feb. 3 and the Youngstown State Invitational on Feb. 3 and 4 as they continue to prepare for the Patriot League Championships, which are two weeks away.

“It was a great weekend for our team,” Barbier said. “We’re seeing school records fall and a lot of strong performances right now as we continue to train for Patriot League Championships in a few weeks.”