Bison prepare for Patriots

By Scott Padula

The men’s swimming and diving team closed its regular season with two individual first-place finishes at the Navy Invitational last Saturday in Annapolis, Md. The unscored meet featured a host of Patriot League rivals including the host Midshipmen, American and Lafayette, as well as Shippensburg.

In a competition in which the Mids won 14 of 17 total events, Orange and Blue swimmers Eric Sokolosky ’12 and Trevor Reitz ’14 still managed to take the top spot in their events.

Sokolosky claimed first in the 200 freestyle in 1:42.12 for the Orange and Blue and led the Bison swimmers in the 200 individual medley with a time of 1:59.64, finishing fourth overall. As a whole, the 200 freestyle event was the best event of the day for the Orange and Blue as Christian Treat ’13, Thomas Brown ’12, Daniel Wallace ’14, Ben Seketa ’15 and Reitz combined to capture six of the first nine places in the event. Reitz claimed the only other victory for the Bison in the 200 butterfly, recording a season-best time of 1:57.42.

Notable performances also came from Orange and Blue swimmers Taylor Harris ’12 and Evan Palumbo ’12 who earned second places in the 100 and 200 breaststrokes, respectively. Harris led a group of three Bison who finished in the top five in the 100 breaststroke with a career-best time of 58.88 seconds, while Palumbo narrowly beat two other Orange and Blue swimmers to take second in the 200 breaststroke. Palumbo’s second-place finish was a satisfying result for the senior who was competing in his final collegiate meet. 

The Orange and Blue will now have two weeks to train before they head back to Annapolis to compete in the Patriot League Championships.

“It’s a good experience to be at the pool we will be competing at in Patriots,” Mike Nicholson ’14 said. “It was our last chance to race before championships and I think we swam pretty well.”

Last season, the Orange and Blue took third place, falling to both Navy and Army, but the Bison come into this year’s meet a much-improved squad. With just one loss to Patriot League opponents during the regular season, the team expects nothing short of second this year. The three-day meet begins Feb. 16.