Brigade raises money for Nicaragua community

By Christina Oddo

The Bucknell Brigade hosted a raffle and silent auction on Feb. 17 in Larison Dining Hall for University students and faculty to benefit the Nueva Vida community in Managua, Nicaragua. Attendees enjoyed live entertainment by Dave Miller as well as hors d’oeuvres. Tickets were $5 for students and $10 for general admission.
“In the months leading up to the date, members of the Bucknell Brigade worked to collect donations from local vendors and friends of the Brigade in order to have a mix of items to raffle off or put up for bid as silent auction items,” Carolyn Breden ’12 said.

Some of the items auctioned include a five-night stay at the Palm Ocean View in St. Thomas and four months of home cupcake delivery. There were also many raffle prizes, including gift certificates and video rentals.

The Bucknell Brigade is a group of students, faculty and staff dedicated to aiding the people of Nueva Vida.

“Each year, we send two to three delegations to the community of Nueva Vida in Managua, Nicaragua to do service work and we spend the rest of the year raising awareness and supporting the community,” Breden said.
Each year, the Bucknell Brigade is committed to raising $40,000, in order to support the health clinic in the community.

“There was a steady crowd of about 50 people with people constantly coming and going, so in the end, I’d say we had 85 to 100 people in total show up to the auction. We made just under $2,500 with our auction prizes,” Katie McAvoy ’13 said.

The proceeds raised by the raffle and auction will go directly to the Nueva Vida community.