Greek orientation contradicts climate

By Jen Mok

When President John Bravman first initiated the Campus Climate Task Force, he received positive and enthusiastic feedback. The University community had openly embraced the need for change in the social environment. This plan evidently entailed new regulations on Greek Life, but recent actions against Greek Life have begun to worry students, including myself.

A month ago the Interfraternity Council (IFC) released a proposal for a “Greek Orientation” to educate first-year students on the purposes of Greek Life and to emphasize the wide range of opportunities Greek organizations provide besides social ones. This additional four-week program was proposed in hopes of enhancing both the recruitment process and the image of Greek Life.

It is true that many first-years are less informed and many are led to form inaccurate and unfair judgments about the Greek system. Does this necessitate a potential class for incoming Greek members? I think not.

The integration of an official class is, in theory, a great suggestion. It will provide those interested and those in doubt a greater understanding of what is required and expected of a Greek member. The class could also potentially improve the overall outlook of the Greek system for both those in favor of and opposed to sororities and fraternities. Despite the conceivable positive outcomes, such an approach could tarnish the school’s image and voice quite contradicting and differing campus opinions and lifestyles.

It is no secret that our school is heavily dominated by Greek Life. A class designed for first-years would, however, imply a staggeringly high percentage of the student body involved in the systems. There are plenty of students not involved and this class would unjustly not reflect that there are students not engaged in Greek Life. The Greek system is already so heavily emphasized that other activities are often overlooked. Having a class dedicated to the Greek system would only solidify such an unreasonable and prejudiced perspective of our campus.

Not only does this provide an inaccurate image of the school, but it also voices a contradicting concern of the school board and faculty. I leave you with two final questions:  What exactly does the administration want from Greeks, and is a simple class going to provide the necessary satisfaction?