Men's track collects All-East honors

Colin Fields

Staff Writer

The men’s track and field team continued its superb season this past weekend at the IC4A/ECAC championships in Boston, Mass., finishing 12th out of 47 teams and amassing a school record of six All-East honors. Among those with All-East honors were seniors Robert Arent ’12 and Tom Barr ’12.

Barr posted a career best throw of 64 feet, 2.5 inches in the weight throw to win the event. Barr’s victory marked the first ever field event win in program history at the IC4A’s and the first IC4A win since 2007. Barr’s mark also moved him into third place all time in the weight throw. The senior has already broken the school record for the shot put earlier this season.

“We are pushing each other every day and our results are showing it. Records are meant to be broken, and I hope that I have pushed and trained my teammates enough to break my record when I am gone,” Barr said.

Arent finished fourth in the 400 meters and set a new school record with a time of 47.46 seconds. Arent’s earned All-East honors for the second year in a row. Christian Lupica ’15 broke the school record in the 200 meters, finishing in 21.58 seconds and clearing the old record by nearly two-tenths of a second. Lupica also received All-East honors for his 60-meter hurdle time of 8.11 in the semifinals, which ranks second in program history. The first-year went on to run an 8.20 in the finals to finish in seventh place.

“I’m really happy with how I’ve adjusted to running the hurdles in college and, thanks to Coach Hobson-Lynch, I’ve been really progressing with the new hurdle height and have already gotten my hurdle times back to what I was running in high school,” Lupica said. “Using the record books is a great ways to set personal goals for myself, and hopefully I can keep continuing to drop my time and help the team by scoring points in the process.”

Fellow first-year Alex Jagelsky ’15 also picked up All-East honors for his performance in the 1,000 meters. Jagelsky’s time of 2:28.11 gave him a sixth place finish. Andrew Powell ’12 continued his success in the heptathlon by scoring 5,012 points and placing eighth. Powell and Leonard Joseph ’13 rounded out the list of Bison All-East honorees.

The Bison return to action later this month at the Towson Invitational in Maryland on March 31.