Fraternities to host a variety of concerts

By Jen Lassen

Arts & Life Editor

For many students, springtime on campus means eating ice cream at the Lewisburg Freez, attending Chrysalis, the budding of the cherry blossoms and of course, the infamous House Party Weekend. Described by many as “the greatest and craziest weekend ever,” this year’s House Party will include some of the most popular performers on this side of the Susquehanna.

One example includes a performance by chart-topping rap duo the Ying Yang Twins at Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity tonight. Songs “Wait (The Whisper Song),” “Salt Shaker” and “Get Low” are some of the biggest singles the Twins have performed.

“We wanted to bring The Ying Yang Twins to TKE because we had heard great reviews from other fraternities that have hosted the group and because of their recognizable name and songs,” John Puleo ’13 said.

Other University fraternity members discussed the performers their organizations will be hosting.

“We are having Judo Chop on Friday from 6 to 10 p.m. as well as Tayyib Ali on Saturday from 6 to 10 p.m.  We have had a long tradition of inviting Judo Chop to Chi Phi Fraternity and have a very good relationship with the band. Not only do all of the brothers and past alumni love their rock performances, but the Bucknell community has always seemed to come out and see their show,” said Andrew Hendrickson ’13, president of Chi Phi Fraternity. 

Some of the fraternities are putting great effort into ensuring that their performers are as original as possible and appeal to the broadest possible audience.

“Chi Phi went in a little bit of a different direction this year by getting the artist Tayyib Ali. He is an up-and-coming rapper, which we have never gotten before at our fraternity. However, we did it based upon the great amount of diverse music tastes here at Bucknell,” Hendrickson said.

The performers have always been a tradition at House Party Weekend and a vital component of what makes the weekend exciting and memorable. Some other performers include Aer and XV featuring Oncue at Delta Upsilon Fraternity; Bro Band, Honky Tonk Heroes and Kid Ink at Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity; and King Fantastic at Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity, co-hosted by Kappa Sigma Fraternity.

“We feel that concerts such as these are a fun and important feature of what makes House Party Weekend arguably the best weekend of the school year. The opportunity to host renowned artists such as the Ying Yang Twins is something we’re very excited about,” said Daniel Dietrich ’12, a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity.

Many of the fraternities will be bringing repeat performers from previous House Party Weekends to their houses while also adding new performers to their schedule. Fraternity members believe that this adds to the tradition of House Party Weekend and offers consistency of names that upperclassmen will recognize, generating even more excitement for the performers at this year’s weekend-long event.

So, whether you favor1980s rock over rap or like hip-hip better than cover bands, you’ll undoubtedly be able to satisfy your musical cravings this House Party Weekend.