Water polo snaps losing streak

By Katherine Harris

The women’s water polo team had an impressive weekend, posting a pair of victories against league opponent Mercyhurst and non-league competitor Grove City at Grove City on March 24. With the much-needed wins, the team improved to 2-3 in conference and 12-18 overall for the season.

“Overall, I think the team was relieved to get these two wins. After a tough spring break record, these last two games really brought back some of the team’s spirit and confidence. Before both games, we discussed specific strategies and tactics to help shut these teams down, and we went out and executed them very well, which contributed greatly to our success,” Hallie Kennan ’12 said.

In the first match of the afternoon, the Bison battled the Mercyhurst Lakers in a CWPA conference contest, prevailing with 14-7. Kennan and Julianne Valdes ’14 tallied three goals each. Kennan also had four assists in the match, becoming the first Bison to score seven points in a game this season and matching a career high in the process.

Krystle Morgan ’13, Taylor Barnett ’15 and Ariel Frankeny ’12 netted two goals apiece and goalkeeper Rena Heim ’14 recorded 10 saves. The combined effort led to the end of a 10-game losing streak.

The Bison played the Grove City Wolverines in their second match of the day. Barnett and Morgan led the way with four and three goals respectively, leading to an eventual 15-8 win.

Kennan and Valdes again stepped up and tallied two goals each for the victory. Barbara Peterson ’15 also contributed two goals and goalkeepers Heim and Brittany Connell ’12 posted three and one saves respectively for the Orange and Blue.

“What was great about these games was that all our players were able to get some playing time,” Kennan said. “Everyone had the chance to get involved and contribute to the outcome, which I think helps the team develop even more confidence and a better sense of responsibility.”

The Bison will now have two weeks of practice before they play again. Their next matches will be on April 7 when they travel to College Park, Md. to play Michigan and George Washington.