Student Government initiatives executed

By Brenna English-Loeb

Staff Writer

Bucknell Student Government (BSG) has implemented several new projects this semester, ranging from the Zipcars parked across from the Elaine Langone Center (ELC) to new printers around campus. With its new initiatives, BSG hopes to encourage better communication with the student body.

Zipcars are an environmentally-friendly development BSG helped implement. The requirements and rates are much less stringent than most car rental services. Drivers only have to be 18, although they are required to have had their license for at least one year and have a clean driving record.

Students can join by visiting zipcar.com and entering Lewisburg, Pa.

BSG has been working to update the technology stations around campus. There is a new printer in the Niche, located behind 7th Street Café, that can be accessed wirelessly from laptops.

“The printer in the Niche is incredibly convenient for people who hang out in 7th St. [Café]” said Sarah Bowen ’11, representative for the class of 2011 and public affairs committee co-chair.

The instructions for printing to the new printer are on the Library and Information Technology website. To access the L&IT site, log in to myBucknell and click on the Library link on the left-hand side.

BSG also hopes to solicit suggestions via the BSG Suggestion Box, located on the left-hand panel of the Student Dashboard on myBucknell.  All comments are anonymous.

Earlier this semester, BSG improved the quality of the equipment in the non-varsity weight room on the second level of the main fitness room in the KLARC center.

To increase the organization’s visibility, BSG representatives will be setting up tables two or three times a week in the ELC mall in November. They will be publicizing the initiatives and will answer questions in an effort to better connect themselves with the student body.

“It is part of a plan that we expect will improve communication between our organization and the student body. We want to prove to the student community that we are here to advocate for them and have already brought many positive changes to campus,” said Joey Martin ’12, BSG vice president of administration. “We hope students will come by, meet their class representatives and voice any concerns they may have.”