5k run/walk supports breast cancer research

By Olivia Seecof

This past Sunday, University students, faculty, community members and families gathered for the ninth annual Paint Bucknell Pink 5K run/walk. The walk was a part of the University’s Family Weekend and was sponsored by the University’s Colleges Against Cancer (CAC) club.

“Paint Bucknell Pink is such a great event because students and families do it together and they have the opportunity to meet other survivors and families going through the same trials and tribulations,” executive chair Dana Silverstein ’12 said.

During the week before the event, members of CAC sold black tank tops with the neon pink phrase “Paint Bucknell Pink” across the front. The money raised from shirt sales and during the walk goes towards the Relay for Life event in the spring. All of the profits from Relay for Life then go directly to the American Cancer Society.

“Everyone does this walk for a different reason. Some do it to honor a memory of a loved one, some do it to be with family or friends and some just do it to support a great cause,” said Lucy Christensen ’12, advocacy chair of Paint Bucknell Pink.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and over 150 participants took part in the event to raise awareness and funds.  The University and campus community raised approximately $4,800.

“It was really great seeing all of the Bucknell families and communities come together to support a great cause,” walk participant Maggie O’Brien ’14 said.