Men's track takes second in Virginia

By Chris McCree
Sports Editor

Entering the weekend as reigning champions, the men’s track and field team claimed second in a field of 27 teams at the Colonial Relays this past weekend in Williamsburg, Va. The Orange and Blue finished behind a talented Michigan squad by 18 points, recording a total of 149 points.

Highlighting the meet for the Orange and Blue was Robert Arent ’12, who broke his own school record in the 110 meter hurdles by .01 seconds. Finishing in a time of 14.31 seconds, Arent claimed second in the race, but was the top collegiate finisher.

Trailing Arent by .16 seconds in the race was Christian Lupica ’15 who claimed seventh for the Orange and Blue, recording a personal-best time of 14.47 seconds.  Lupica also claimed ninth in the 200 meter dash with a time of 21.69 seconds.

Other top finishers for the Bison were Kamal Riley ’14 and Ray Holmes ’14, who placed second and fourth in the 100 meter sprint and triple jump respectively. After placing fifth in the semi-final heat, Riley jumped up three spots in the finals, securing valuable points for the Bison. Riley capped off his meet by competing in the 4×100 and 4×200 relays, helping the squad to a pair of fourth places finishes.

Mike McGowan ’15 earned the team’s best finish in the distance events by taking second in the 10,000 meter run. McGowan beat his seed time by more than 47 seconds, finishing in 30:22.55.

In the field events, the Bison were able to secure multiple top-10 finishes, including a sweep of the top two spots in the shot put by Quinten Marcott ’13 and Luke Webster ’13. Leonard Joseph ’13, Tom Barr ’12 and Ted Mottola ’13 each placed in the top five of the hammer throw with Joseph leading the group in second place with a 59.19 meter throw.

After opening up their spring season with a pair of away meets, the Orange and Blue have two home meets over the next two weeks. This weekend, the Bison will host the Bison Outdoor Classic starting at 12 p.m. on Friday.