Baseball splits Navy rematch

By Andrew Arnao

The baseball team went 2-3 over the past week, splitting a four-game series at home against Navy over the weekend while falling on the road to Towson on Tuesday. The Bison are now 16-18 for the season.

Game one on Saturday started off as a pitcher’s duel, with both Dan Weigel ’14 and Navy’s Ben Nelson firing blanks until Navy broke through with a run in the fourth. The Bison brought it to 2-1 in the sixth on a two-RBI hit by third baseman David Duffett ’12. Navy tied the game to force extra innings, but Duffett hit a walk-off single in the 10thto give the Bison a 3-2 win.

Game two ended as a tough loss for the Bison. Despite taking a 2-1 lead into the seventh, the Orange and the Blue were unable to hold on as Navy scored two runs to win by a final of 3-2. Pitcher Bryson Hough ’15 went eight strong innings, giving up only three runs on eight hits, while left-fielder Colby Vanderbeck ’14 and designated hitter Matt Lamore ’12 each contributed one RBI. Game three on Sunday also resulted in a frustrating 3-2 loss for the Bison, as the Bison took a 2-0 lead into the sixth when Navy finally got to pitcher Ryan Ebner ’12 for three runs.

“When our starters give us quality pitching performances, we should expect to sweep the series,” outfielder Matt Busch ’13 said. “Pitching alone, however, does not win ball games. Our offense struggled in all but the last game and we were only able to put up a few runs in the first three games.”

The Bison offense was finally let loose in game four, pounding Navy for 10 runs in an eventual 10-3 victory. Pitcher Dan Goldstein ’13 recorded the win while five Bison recorded multi-hit games. The Bison had their best inning in the fourth, when nine men were sent to the plate and pinch-hitter Scott Reed ’12 hit a three-run homer.

“Our starting pitching did a great job of keeping us in the games,” assistant coach Jim Gulden said. “All the games were well pitched games by both teams. Our bats came alive in the fourth game to split the series, which we needed to stay ahead of them in the league.”

The offense continued to rake against Towson, scoring eight runs thanks in part to a grand slam by Busch, but it wasn’t enough as the Bison fell 10-8. Each team tied the score five times before Towson went ahead for good in the bottom of the seventh. Busch and center fielder Bob Donato ’12 each had two hits and multiple RBIs for the Orange and the Blue.

“Against Towson, we played well offensively and struggled on the hill,” Busch said. “The positive thing we can take from this is that we have solid pitching and an explosive offense. The trick is getting both aspects to work at the same time.”

The Bison will be at home this weekend for a four-game series against divisionrival Lehigh, starting at noon on Saturday.

“This weekend is a huge weekend for us [because] we are a game ahead of Lehigh in the league and need to stay ahead of them,” Gulden said. “The keys to this weekend are to get good quality starts from our pitchers, timely hitting from our offense and play mistake-free baseball. If we play the way we are capable [of], we are a tough team to beat.”