Women's golf ends year in S.C.

By Andrew Lichtenauer

The women’s golf team wrapped up its season Wednesday at the Big South Championship in Ninety Six, S.C. The team finished seventh of 10 teams at the end of the 54-hole tournament, while Campbell claimed the Big South title. Leading the Bison was Bridget Wilcox ’14, who finished tied for 13th individually with a solid three-round total of 234. Lauren Bernard ’14 (238), Kasha Scott ’14 (239), Minjoo Lee ’12 (244) and Brittany Rendell ’12 (248) followed Wilcox.

Wilcox had a resilient second round on Tuesday when she bounced back from a tough triple-bogey on the front-nine to finish the rest of her round in only two-over-par.

“I really hit the ball well this week and when I missed a green my short game was very solid,” Wilcox said. “I was also very mentally strong this week; when things weren’t going well I was still able to grind it out and limit the amount of bogeys I had. You need to be mentally tough to compete at the Big South.”

The Big South Championship marked the final competition for seniors Lee and Rendell. The two have both excelled as Bison golfers throughout their careers. 

“I loved making friends with other players from other schools. And I loved my teammates. They’re some of my closest friends and I feel lucky to have gotten to know them and be friends. It was a bittersweet feeling walking off the 18th green today,” Lee said.

Over the course of their spring season, the Bison competed in four different tournaments with their best finish coming at the Bison Challenge at Paiute Golf Resort in Las Vegas in March. Competing in a series of very competitive tournaments, the Bison managed to produce three top-10 finishes and saw consistent improvement from their starting five.

Looking ahead to next season, the Bison will certainly miss the departing seniors, but will return their trio of talented sophomores in Scott, Wilcox, and Bernard. With another year of experience, this group will look to build on their impressive seasons and carry the team to the next level next fall.