Men's golf places 8th in VA; 9th at Lafayette

By Alex Wagner

Assistant Sports Editor

The men’s golf team had a consistent outing the past weekend, finishing eighth at the Manor Intercollegiate and in ninth at the Lafayette Invitational.

The first tournament was held at the Manor Resort in Farmville, Va. on Friday and Saturday. Will Bachman ’12 and Schuyler Stitzer ’14 were the top performers for the Orange and Blue, both finishing in a tie at 29th place, with 233 strokes overall.

Pete Scialabba ’15 was not far behind, finishing with just two more strokes and a tie for 36th. Dan Bernard ’13 and Jon Hartman ’13 rounded out the Bison’s finish with 237 strokes each and a tie for 41st place.

Unfortunately, the individual results did not stack up well, and the Bison ended up in eighth place out of 10 teams with a score of 928. Seton Hall finished the event in first with an overall team score of 880. Dylan Jensen of Longwood put in the best individual performance of 209 strokes.

The Lafayette Invitational, played on Sunday and Monday at the Northampton Country Club in Easton Pa., proved to be a more successful outing for the Orange and Blue. They showed their depth by bringing in five new players for the tournament and placing ninth out of 15 teams.

J.J. Szmadzinski ’13 and Patrick Hagerty ’15 led the way for the Bison, finishing in a tie for 23rd place. Szmadzinski’s high finish was due in part to a wonderful second day of play, in which he shot a 73, just one above par. This score was the eighth best for that day out of a pool of 84 players. Hagerty shot consistently well, with a 78 on Sunday and a 77 the day after.

Billy Wright ’14, Zach Pogust ’15 and Thomas Walter ’14 contributed to the strong team effort, finishing with scores of 156, 160 and 161, respectively.

Hofstra University finished in first place at the event, with an overall team score of 600, while Carter Rufe of Lafayette and Jeremy Foran of St. Francis (PA) tied for the top individual spot with 144.

The next action for the Bison will be the Navy Invitational on April 21.