Athlete of the Week: David Duffett

By Chris McCree
Sports Editor

Player Profile:

David Duffett

Senior

Infielder

Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pa.

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Season Statistics:

Avg: .329

GP-GS: 38-38

H: 50

RBIs: 29

SLG percentage: .454

OB percentage: .378

During a weekend of major playoff implications, David Duffett ’12 propelled the men’s baseball team to a 3-1 series win over Lehigh behind his consistent offensive production over the two days. The senior infielder batted .500 over the four games, notching three RBIs and three runs scored against the Mountain Hawks pitching staff. Starting strong in game one, Duffett was the only Orange and Blue player to record multiple hits and was able to get on base at least twice in each of the four contests. During the series finale, Duffett produced his strongest offensive performance of the weekend, going 3-5 to help the Bison to a one-run victory.

“My coaches and teammates put me in great opportunities to contribute to the team and I was fortunate enough to come through for them,” Duffett said. “We knew we were capable of playing well and we were able to put it all together this weekend against Lehigh. The pitching staff did a great job against their offense and we were able to hit well enough to win the series.”

Duffett emerged as one of the team’s most talented players last season when he took over the starting job as a junior. Last season, Duffett ranked second on the team with a .361 batting average during the regular season and recorded 18 multi-hit games. For the Bison, Duffett’s greatest quality is his durability. As a sophomore, Duffett played in 58 of 60 games and currently leads the team in games played with 38 this season.

This season, Duffett has turned his attention to being a good leader for the younger players on the team.

“My role on the team has changed a lot over the past four years,” he said. As a younger guy I always looked to the seniors to lead the team in the late innings, but now I’m one of the guys trying to help the team down the stretch. I would not have made it to this point in my career without all the support from my coaches and teammates over the years.”

Looking ahead, Duffett and the Bison have two key Patriot League series remaining on the schedule. This weekend, the team will travel to West Point to take on Army and then will close out their season at Lafayette one week later.

,