Spring fever contaminates classrooms

By Sarah Morris

It is always nice to see the flowers come out in the spring. The University comes alive with all of the cherry trees and flowers blossoming out of the cold death we were all seemingly hibernating in to shield our young bodies from the winter months. I wake up in the morning, open my window and see the sun, which I thought had abandoned the Earth for the past 12 weeks.

The best part of spring here at the University might be the glorious moment when I am walking through the quad, loving the breeze, watching classes take place outside as students and teachers attempt to pay attention while they simply enjoy themselves. Then all of the sudden I hear somebody hacking up a lung directly behind me, spewing their germs on their neighbors. This past week, I have been struck with some sort of serious lung issue involving breathing problems and horrible congestion. I thought chest colds and bronchitis kept to themselves once February had past. People need to keep their germs to themselves, especially when it comes to contained classrooms.

The worst part of this not-so-spring-fever is that everyone has it due to the pressure to attend classes as finals are looming in the not-too-distant future. The common sickness really goes to show how much we care about our education; students will attend class despite their high fevers, incessant sneezing and debilitating chills. As much as we care for our education, the spreading of such germs needs to stop. Students must understand that containing one’s sickness is more important than scribbling notes that a classmate can easily provide. I have to admit that I have been one of the disgusting students, attending classes dangerously and coughing through lectures. Unfair to my healthy peers, my attendance—in consideration of my state—is wrong of me.

The truth is, we should be a bit more careful about how we attend classes while feeling sick here at school. Sit far away from your classmates and try, if you can, to bring your own “supplies.” This means bringing your own tissues to blow your nose so you do not have to block people’s views when you have to get up and possibly even drag a trashcan over to your desk if you’re feeling that stuffy. For God’s sake, sanitize your hands before you leave the room so you do not infect the entire world by touching something as simple as the doorknob. I know the pressure to be present at all classes is heavy right now because of finals, but we need to be smarter so that we can help out our fellow classmates from getting sick as well.