Green party forms on campus

Allison Busacca

Upon his arrival at the University, David Rapp-Kirshner ’15 couldn’t help getting involved.  He is currently trying to form a Green Party club, which is in its beginning stages and is probing for interest and support on campus.

His interest in this club comes from his desire to “give a voice” to the Green Party. During this 2012 presidential election, it has become clear to him that progressives, whose political views he identifies with, are underrepresented. He feels he has to settle because his political views aren’t fully represented by either of the two major political parties.

The key to the Green Party agenda is that they are “the only political party that is truly progressive on all aspects of its platform: marriage equality, universal single-payer healthcare, ecological sustainability, cannabis legalization, national debt reduction, international peace and disarmament, civil rights and human rights,” Rapp-Kirshner said.

He believes the policies of the Green Party are “the way to the brightest future for America.”

His goals for the club on campus are to raise awareness of the Green Party and its ideals by facilitating discussions and debates on topical issues where they would express their progressive viewpoints. Students from other political parties would be encouraged to come and express theirs as well. He believes a diversity of views and beliefs is important, and is something America’s current system does not allow for. He hopes the club will not only raise awareness for the Green Party on campus, but also bring scrutiny to America’s two-party system.

We already have a Democrats Club and Conservatives Club on campus. Kamran Khan ’14,  president of College Democrats (College Dems) said their main goal for this semester is “to get as many students registered to vote on campus as possible.”

They have taken several initiatives, including successfully working with the University to place stickers on University IDs so students can vote in Pennsylvania. Khan is planning a watch party for the two main debates with a follow-up discussion for students and faculty. He also hopes to schedule a debate with the Conservatives Club.

Richie Pisano ’15 of the Conservatives Club (BUCC) describes their weekly club meetings as “lively” and “encompassing of a range of political ideologies, all based in freedom and liberty.” The club has its own publication, “The Counterweight,” and it brings speakers to campus. The BUCC will be hosting Dinesh D’Souza, who will speak on multiculturalism and “The Roots of Obama’s Rage” on Oct. 1 at 7:30 p.m. in Trout Auditorium.

Rapp-Kirshner is open to any input and is hopeful that the Green Party can have the same legitimacy on campus as College Dems and the BUCC.