Christy's a cappella brings harmony

Raffi Berberian | The Bucknellian
Members of one of Bucknell’s co-ed a cappella groups, Beyond Unison, perform their set at Christy’s.

Ali Napoli

The University held its annual Christy’s A Cappella concert in Rooke Chapel as a part of Parent’s Weekend on Sept. 21 and 22. The concert has been taking place for 22 years, and it began as a more casual “coffeehouse” type event. This year, the five a cappella groups on campus participated: The Offbeats, Beyond Unison, Two Past Midnight, The Silhouettes and The Bison Chips.

“We were especially looking forward to Christy’s this year. We really wanted to show our families and friends the great deal of work that we’ve put in over the past few months. Because we’re such a new group, this was the first year that we’ve done a full set and a skit at the concert, so it was really exciting for the Offbeats. It was definitely a lot of fun and we’re already looking forward to next year!” Jessica Isgro ’15, Musical Director of The Offbeats, said.

Each group preformed four to five pieces, ranging from Billy Joel’s “Only the Good Die Young” to Justin Bieber’s “Boyfriend.” Rooke Chapel was packed with family, friends, students and alumni appreciating the talent of those on stage.

“Christy’s is always a really fun event. I love being able to perform at a concert with all of the other a cappella groups, and I think it is really fun for the audience to have a concert with such variety. It was a lot of work to learn all of the music in only one short month, but I think the hard work paid off,” Beyond Unison’s Annie Schulenburg ’13 said.

Although most recognize it as a fun event, for some it was a more sentimental experience. Jenny Rosen ’13, a member of the Silhouettes, had her last Christy’s performance this year.

“I could not be more ecstatic to be sharing the stage with this amazing group of girls. The Sils love performing at Christy’s and it is a very special concert for all of us,” Rosen said.

Both nights were close to sold out, drawing a huge crowd for the performers.