Kappa Sigma takes Iron Chef gold

Jen Lassen
News Editor

Fraternities are known for their sense of brotherhood and philanthropic service, but who knew that they were known for their cuisine, as well?

On Oct. 15, chefs from each fraternity on campus gathered in Larison Dining Hall for Interfraternity Council (IFC) and Panhellenic Council’s annual Greek Iron Chef event.

For $8 a ticket ($10 at the door), students had the opportunity to sample different fraternity house dishes, prepared by the chefs for each house. Fraternity members from their respective organizations each took turns serving food to students from the different booths set up around Larison Dining Hall.

Keeping with the “Iron Chef” theme, students also had the opportunity to vote on their favorite dishes by dropping their tickets into the cups that corresponded to the fraternity or fraternities that served the tastiest food.

Kappa Sigma fraternity won the event with the most votes for its chicken and vegetable kabobs. Other dishes included buffalo chicken dip from Chi Phi fraternity, chocolate chip cookies from Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity, and mozzarella sticks from Phi Kappa Psi fraternity.

Chris Spahr ’13, vice president external of IFC, coordinated the event.

“It’s just really exciting to get all the frats together to achieve a common goal,” Spahr said.

The “common goal” for the event was to raise money for the Million Penny Project, the philanthropy chosen by IFC. So far, almost $10,000 has been raised for the Million Penny Project due to efforts from past events.

“We will achieve and may even surpass our goal of raising the money this year,” Spahr said.

Pat Zailckas ’13, IFC president and Steph Thomas ’13, Panhellenic vice president of community outreach, also had a hand in planning the event.

“It’s nice to see everyone supporting each other. It’s really helpful for raising money for the philanthropy,” Thomas said.

The large turnout of students made for long lines at the event.

“It’s a great event, but the long line is unavoidable,” Pete Filippi ’13, member of Delta Upsilon fraternity, said.

“There are so many people here … great food for a great cause,” Emily Arthur ’15 said.