Hollywood begins 2013 with a bang

El McCabe

One of the most exciting aspects of a new year and a new semester is the anticipation of new movies, music and other types of entertainment. For the entertainment industry, 2012 was a huge year, including music ranging from PSY’s “Gangnam Style” to “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” by Taylor Swift. However, it is clear that the movie industry came out on top last year. Breathtaking movies such as “Silver Linings Playbook” and “Django Unchained” touched the hearts of millions towards the end of 2012, and if you are lucky, you can still find them in select theaters.

Thus far in 2013, movies such as “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” “Lincoln” and “Les Miserables” have captivated audiences all across the country. “The Hobbit” is a perfect movie for both hardcore Lord of the Rings fans and those unfamiliar with the story line altogether. The filming and cinematography are truly remarkable and the near three-hour movie manages to leave you in anticipation for more. The fight scenes are breathtakingly real, but not gory enough to deter those who dislike gore.

“Lincoln” accomplishes a similar feat of leaving you at the edge of your seat. Even though everyone with a fifth grade education knows the ending of this historical tale, the way the story is presented on the big screen creates a fresh outlook on Lincoln’s life and struggle for our country. The movie is appropriate for all age groups and is extremely inspiring and enlightening.

“Les Mis” is the movie that people have been raving about for weeks all over Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter. Based off the extremely successful musical, “Les Miserables” is a movie guaranteed to bring a tear to your eye. It received countless Golden Globe nominations, and the acting was truly remarkable. Anne Hathaway rehearsed for five straight months for the movie, and her dedication proved worthwhile in her astounding performance.

Despite these fantastic movies, it is safe to say the best is still to come. This year is said to be the “year of sequels and prequels” on the big screen. Crowd pleasers such as the “Iron Man” series, “The Fast and the Furious,” “X-Men,” “Star Trek” and “The Hangover” are all set to release sequels throughout the year. Along with additions to popular series, the movie industry is also releasing some new promising movies, including but not limited to, the “Man of Steel” rendition of Superman and a remake of “The Great Gatsby.” No matter your favorite type of movie, 2013 has a lot to offer, so don’t forget to check out when these movies will be shown at the Campus Theatre.