Women’s golf places sixth in season-opening tournament

Claudia Silvers

The women’s golf team placed sixth in its season-opening Bucknell Invitational from Sept. 7-8. They proved victorious over the three other Patriot League teams that attended.

The Bison previously won this Invitational in 2010 and 2011, but William & Mary stole the title this time.

“Beating out the other Patriot League schools, including Boston University and Lehigh, was exciting,” Kasha Scott ’14 said.

“Defeating the other league teams in the field showed that we are the team to beat in the Patriot League,” Lauren Bernard ’14 said.

Scott and Bernard, along with Bridget Wilcox ’14, scored in the 70s on the final day of the Invitational. Bernard achieved the Bison’s top score for the tournament, with a 54-hole total of 233, placing her 14th overall.

Emily Timmons ’15 shot 81 and Emily Larson ’17 shot 83 in her debut, helping the Bison earn team totals of 310 and 323 on Sept. 7.

The Bison ended with a 946 composite, nine strokes below defending champion Boston University. Lehigh, last year’s Patriot League Champion, placed ninth with 976 and Navy placed 16th with 1,112. Head Coach Kevin Jamieson was “pleased to see all of student-athletes working hard over a long weekend.”

The Invitational proved to be a strong start for the team, showing the four first-year players what college-level competition is like.

“With most of the players doing internships over the summer, I thought we came out pretty rusty mentally,” Jamieson said. “With that said, I think we had a heck of a finish in a tough field,”

Jamieson and his players look forward to the Yale Intercollegiate Tournament in one week, hoping that they can, as Jamieson said, “knock off some of the rust” during the allotted preparation time.

“There will be good competition, and it is a great golf course,” Scott said in regards to the tournament at Yale. 

“Everyone will take the next week and a half now to focus on the areas that we struggled in during the Bucknell Invitational to prepare for our next tournament at Yale,” Bernard said. 

After a successful fall-opener, the Bison women’s golf team looks ahead to the Yale Intercollegiate that takes place Sept. 20-22.

“I believe that our team will continue to work very hard and greatly improve while building team confidence on the way,” Bernard said.