New shuttle system in effect

By Allie Mongan

The new downtown shuttle system installed by the University at the beginning of this semester offers students, faculty and staff a new way to get around campus.

The Office of Card Services and Student Transit issued surveys to students last spring regarding their interest in having a campus shuttle system.

“Last spring, when I was handed a survey in the Bison, I did not think the shuttle would be necessary on such a small campus, but after learning more about it, I think it is actually a very beneficial addition to our school,” said Brenna O’Neill ’12.

Enough interest was generated to motivate University officials to create the new shuttle system. It offers nine different stops, runs seven days a week and allows students to travel to the University bookstore and other places in downtown Lewisburg.

The shuttle bus alternates between three different loops throughout the day. The loop paths and times for each stop can be found using the Administrative Offices link on myBucknell under the Card Services and Student Transit tab.

The University shuttle runs similarly to a public transportation bus but is completely free to students, faculty and staff members with University identification (BUID). If a guest of a student or faculty member wants to ride, they must be accompanied by a BUID holder.

The bus stops at locations on the uphill and downhill University campuses as well as the downtown bookstore, Evangelical Hospital, Walmart and Weis Markets.

The shuttle runs on schedule from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday. On Sunday, the shuttle runs from 12 p.m. until 8 p.m. A one-hour break is scheduled from 2:30 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. each day to permit a driver change.

An additional bus will be used at the beginning of each fall and spring semester during the textbook rush periods and will run directly to and from campus and the bookstore, according to the office of Card Services and Student Transit.

The Office of Card Services and Student Transit hopes this new shuttle system will cut down traffic on and around campus and will reduce parking issues. The downtown shuttle will also allow students without vehicles easier access to off-campus shopping.

The transit office has plans to continually evaluate routes, timing and ridership until the University’s fall break in mid-October, during which they will make necessary adjustments as they “strive to continually improve transportation services for students, faculty and staff,” said Glenn Fisher, director of Card Services and Student Transit.

In addition to aiding students, the University hopes the new shuttle will become a means to bring the University and the surrounding community closer.