Unprepared downtown residents scramble for trick-or-treaters

Steph Garboski, Contributing Writer

Lewisburg was alive with little goblins, witches, and child-sized Beyoncés on Oct. 31, all going door-to-door in search of candy. For the past five years, Lewisburg residents have avoided the “downtown” scene near the University in fear of rowdy college students, with their loud music and revealing costumes. This Halloween, however, parents decided to reclaim the downtown scene, and many brought their children door-to-door for trick or treating.

Many of the parents who ventured downtown complained of strange “treats” being handed out. We spoke briefly with many of the local parents, all of whom complained of “strange treats,” “handing out literal trash,” and “annotated Russian literature.” Some of the items children received included:

• Packs of AA batteries
  • Electric cords for unidentified devices
  • Biology textbooks
  • “It’s my 21st” hat and sash
  • Gift certificate for free beverage at Seventh Street Café
  • Half-filled Calculus II notebook
  • CamelBak water bottle
  • Patagonia (referred to as “someone else’s fracket” when handed over)
  • One stick of gum

“My brothers and I were studying, a lot of us have exams this week, and we heard a knock on the door. There were two little girls there dressed up as ballerinas. We didn’t have any candy, we didn’t know what to do. I gave one of them a jacket I found on the floor and another a stack of plastic cups,” downtown resident Bret Dasani ’17 said.

Parents who visited downtown felt it was a positive experience overall. They expressed interest in bringing their children downtown again for trick-or-treating next year.

“Do I regret it? Not one bit. One girl gave my youngest daughter a $300 pair of earrings. We’re coming back next year ready to shop,” local parent Karen Roberts said.