Lewisburg cemetery opens new section for dead JUUL pods

Bridget Beljan, Contributing Writer

Last Saturday, the Lewisburg Cemetery announced a new burial section dedicated to empty JUUL pods. Open to pods of all flavors, the addition is non-denominational, welcoming mourners of all walks. Caretaker Harold Stone was inspired to create the plot after seeing countless discarded pods strewn across the streets of Lewisburg, abandoned and unappreciated.

“After 30 years of heavy smoking, I could start to feel the toll.  After my daughter gave birth to her first child, I saw the writing on the wall. I had to make a change. After trying the gum, patches, and everything in between, I bought my first JUUL when I was 63 years old. It changed my life,” Stone said.

Stone implemented a JUUL pod recycling system, distributing miniature bins throughout residence buildings and academic halls. He sent out a mass email explaining the importance of ensuring the pods have a restful afterlife. His campaign received overwhelmingly positive feedback from the student body and teachers alike, resulting in over 3,000 dead pods in one week.

“It’s heartwarming to see a member of the community doing something that really matters. I’ve always welcomed a good rip in the middle of class and it’s comforting to know that the pods are finally getting the respect they deserve,” Professor of Religious Studies Julius Peabody said.

The first open-casket burial is scheduled for half-past noon on Feb. 13. Stone has started a GoFundMe page to cover funeral expenses. Any and all contributions are appreciated.