#ClassOutside movement takes campus by storm

Graphics by Olivia Braito.

Amy Schlussler, Senior Writer

The sudden change in temperature has drawn University students out of the classroom and onto the banks of the Susquehanna River. While overall class attendance has plummeted with the nice weather, students who have already exceeded their absence limit have proposed a new idea.

When the #ClassOutside movement swept across campus, students were more than eager to hop on the bandwagon. Leader and operation coordinator  Sunny Sky ’20, was kind enough to speak with The Bucknellian regarding the campaign.

“This movement is designed to encourage professors to conduct classes outside for the remainder of the semester,” Sky said. “The outdoors are irresistible this time of year, especially with the addition of the Adirondack chairs across campus. Our committee has done extensive research on the health benefits that come from studying outdoors, which has become the driving force in this movement.”

As an effort to move class outside, members of this new committee have created an Instagram page with the intention of circulating the hashtag #ClassOutside. So far the members have posted bulletins on the inside of bathroom stalls to increase publicity and have even locked classrooms so students can’t succumb to peer pressure from their professors.

The Bucknellian spoke with a faculty member from the biology department who is in full support of the #ClassOutside movement.

“As a professor for a course focused on the study of life, I think holding class outdoors is valuable to my students’ education,” Professor Flowers said. “I am now able to take what we have been studying all semester long and apply it to the native plants on the University’s campus.”

In an attempt to spread the word regarding the movement, t-shirts and hats with “#ClassOutside” printed on the front are being sold all week long from 11 a.m-1 p.m. in the Elaine Langone Center.