Trend alert: tucking sweatpants into midcalves

Bridget Beljan, Senior Writer

Cool morning chills meet sweltering afternoon sweats in the climatic transition period of the final weeks of the semester. With this confusing combination, a number of interesting style trends begin to appear. From sweats and sandals to shorts and sweatshirts, one should expect the unexpected when it comes to outfit arrangements at this time of year.

The most recent trend emerging among the University population seems to be tucking sweatpants into mid-calf socks. Upon first glance, this style may not seem like a practical solution to the weather at hand, but upon further investigation, the students sporting this look seem to have a method to their madness.

“I am so happy to have stumbled across this trend,” Sophie Sweatsmith ’21 said. “When it is cooler in the mornings, I tuck my sweatpants into my midcalves, trapping in all of my much-needed body heat. Then, when the sun comes out, I simply untuck the sweats from the socks, allowing air to circulate and prevent sweat accumulation.”

Some outraged students claimed to have been tucking in their sweatpants long before the trend took the University by storm.

“Everyone thinks this trend just came about, but I swear I started doing this first semester during the transition from summer to fall,” Tyler Trent ’20 said. “It was all I would wear until the weather finally settled back then, and it’s all I’m going to wear until it settles now.”

With this logic, one would expect the trend to dissipate quickly. However, not everyone is in it for the temperature regulation.

“Personally, I just think it looks dope,” Justin Dresser ’22 said. “I actually take it a step further and wear a different color midcalf on each foot. This allows me to express how I’m feeling each day without having to say a word.”

Only time will tell whether this trend will outlast the intermittent temperature fluctuations. Regardless, the style seems to be an alluring possibility for those looking to cope with the unpredictable weather or trying something that “looks dope.”